RELINQUISHING YOUR PET
Questioning your commitment to your pet? Has something in your situation changed? Moving? Are you facing a behavioural or medical issue with your pet that you have been unable to resolve? Are you unable to continue the commitment to your pet’s needs? Do you have an unwanted litter? Are you having financial issues? Did you have a baby?
All of these problems or changes can be addressed - and many of them solved - with the right interventions. Even with our best efforts the animals that are surrendered have to go through different experiences that they might perceive as very stressful and hard to deal with, without the security of a familiar loved one.
The best place for your pet – is with you.
Please consider the following programs:
- Obedience Classes & Private Consultations are available for varying levels of training and behavior issues:
Looking for a new home for your pet?
Here are some steps you can take:
- Check with co-workers, family and friends to see if they would like to have your pet
- Contact a breed rescue group.
- Contact your pet's breeder. Good breeders will attempt to help you with any problems or will take their animals back.
- Advertise in local newspapers
- Advertise at vet clinics in your area
- Advertise at pet supply stores
- Advertise online
Relinquishing a Pet to the MHSPCA
We understand how difficult it is to give up the family pet. Contact us at 403-526-7722 for space availably in order bring your pet to the Medicine Hat SPCA.
What to Bring With You
- Vaccination & Medical Records from your veterinarian
- Unopened bags of pet food
- Your pet's favorite bedding & toys
- Information on likes & dislikes (anything that will be helpful to re-homing your pet)
- Information on your family (lives with children, other pets etc.)
The Medicine Hat SPCA will provide your pet the care and security it needs until a decision on adoptability has been made. Your pet will undergo a medical and behaviour exam. This generally takes 10-15 days depending on how well your animal adjusts. Every effort and resource is used to ensure a good match into a new loving home.
The cost associated with supporting your pet while at the Medicine Hat SPCA varies; this cost is dependent on the length of stay, daily care, medical treatment, dental treatments, vaccines, and/or spaying/neutering that are required.
There is a cost associated with relinquishing your pet. The Medicine Hat SPCA In Town relinquishment fees are as follows:
- $25 per cat or kitten (if spayed or neutered)
- $50 per cat or kitten (if not spayed or neutered)
- $25 per dog or puppy (if spayed or neutered)
- $50 per dog or puppy (if not spayed or neutered)
- Call the shelter for Others each (Hamsters, Guinea Pigs, Rabbits, Ferrets, Birds etc.)
*For Medicine Hat SPCA Out Of Town relinquishment fees & information, please call us at 403-526-7722
We ask that you also consider the costs outlined above and provide some financial support to the Medicine Hat SPCA to allow us to continue to care for your pet. Donations of food, crates, pet carriers and other supplies are also greatly appreciated. View our Wish List. Your support enables us to care for the over 2,500 animals we receive every year.